SGS Put Intelligent Protect To The Test Against Sparks and More
The client has asked SGS INTRON to assess whether the Intelligent Protect – sprayed temporary protection film has sufficient resistance against sparks of grinding metals and of welding metal.
Because no standards are available to determine this, we have drawn up a practical test program together with the client.
TEST PROGRAM – Part of a window is sprayed with the temporary film and the other part is untreated. The entire window is tested with:
- Carbon steel sparks
- Stainless steel sparks
- Aluminium sparks
- Metal welding sparks All tests are performed for 30 seconds at a distance of 50 cm on the same window frame.
- Carbon steel stainless steel aluminium metal welding
Before the tests, the window was visually checked on any damages present in advance (for instance transport damage) and these have been taken into account in the assessment.
After the tests:
- The window was visually assessed
- The temporary protection film was visually assessed
- The temporary protection film was removed • the window under the temporary protection film was visually assessed
- The thickness of the film was measured at various locations.
The temporary film to protect the window against metal grinding and welding sparks performed well in the test setup chosen by SGS Intron and the client. We have not observed any damage to the protected side of the glass and window frame, after the selected exposition regime.